Little Portion Farm is a ministry of the Franciscan Friars Conventual focused on providing fresh food to those in need while using sustainable farming methods. The 3-acre farm is intended to function as an ecosystem, with a diversity of plants and habitats to support the life of this “little portion” of creation. In addition to common annual crops, the farm includes sections of perennial plants, as well as native flowering plants to attract pollinators and other beneficial insects. As the food harvested from the farm is donated to the Franciscan Center in Baltimore, the overarching mission of this ministry is, using the words of Pope Francis, to “hear both the cry of the earth and the cry of the poor.”
Since 2019, our first growing season, we have harvested and donated over 45,000 pounds of fresh organic produce to those in need in Baltimore. The majority of our food goes to the Franciscan Center of Baltimore to be used in their meal program, which served over 300,000 meals in 2021 alone.
In 2022, we hope to…
- Begin planting our fruit orchard/food forest, which will eventually have around 60 trees and 120 shrubs
- Plant additional rows in our perennial section, likely including blueberries, bush cherries, grapes, and possibly more
- Plant additional wildflower gardens to attract beneficial insects and pollinators
- Plant a hedgerow around the farm’s fence line to serve as a windbreak and provide habitat for birds and insects
- Purchase more irrigation supplies for our expansion
- Hire an assistant to help Farmer Matt manage on and off-farm tasks
In our 2021 year-end campaign, we hope to raise $15,000 to help with this expansion and operate the farm next year. Our continued growth will only be possible with your generous support. Our commitment to donating 100% of our produce means we rely greatly on your generosity for the resources we need to be successful. May God bless you and thank you for supporting our ministry!
Special sponsorships available:
Little Portion Farm is a ministry of the Franciscan Friars Conventual of the Our Lady of the Angels Province, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations to Little Portion Farm are tax deductible to the full extent allowable under the law.
You will receive email confirmation as soon as your transaction is complete. Otherwise, if your card is declined or you are missing information, error messages will be displayed above in red.