Little Portion Farm is a ministry of the Franciscan Friars Conventual focused on providing fresh food to those in need while using sustainable farming methods. The 3-acre farm is intended to function as an ecosystem, with a diversity of plants and habitats to support the life of this “little portion” of creation. In addition to common annual crops, the farm includes sections of perennial plants, as well as native flowering plants to attract pollinators and other beneficial insects. As the food harvested from the farm is donated to the Franciscan Center in Baltimore and other partners, the overarching mission of this ministry is, using the words of Pope Francis, to “hear both the cry of the earth and the cry of the poor.”
Since 2019, our first growing season, we have harvested and donated more than 60,000 pounds of fresh organic produce to those in need in Baltimore. Most of our food goes to the Franciscan Center of Baltimore to be used in their meal program, which serves hundreds of thousands of meals each year.
We are hoping to raise $20,000 to help cover our farm expenses for 2023, which include these projects:
- Assemble a “high tunnel” greenhouse, which will be used to extend our growing season, allowing more food to be grown in-ground over the winter when fresh produce is even harder to come by for our partners in Baltimore.
- Create a children’s garden to offer our younger visitors a place to learn about sustainable farming and caring for the earth.
- Install a wash station for greens such as spinach, arugula, and lettuce, important components to the daily salads served at the Franciscan Center.
- Plant fruiting shrubs and other perennial plants between the fruit trees in our orchard to create a “food forest.”
- Construct additional covered storage space for farm tools and equipment.
- Plant native shrubs inside the farm’s fence to act as a windbreak and add biodiversity for birds and insects.
Our continued growth and success are only possible with your generous support. Our commitment to donating 100% of our produce means we rely greatly on your generosity for the resources we need to be successful. May God bless you and thank you for supporting our ministry!
Checks can be addressed to Little Portion Farm and mailed to 12280 Folly Quarter Rd., Ellicott City, MD 21042.
Little Portion Farm is a ministry of the Franciscan Friars Conventual of the Our Lady of the Angels Province, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations to Little Portion Farm are tax deductible to the full extent allowable under the law.
You will receive email confirmation as soon as your transaction is complete. Otherwise, if your card is declined or you are missing information, error messages will be displayed above in red.